Thursday, July 18, 2019

Friendship Through the Years :: Friendship Essay Personal Narrative

Friendship Through the Years Two sets of twins live in the house cattycorner to mine. All four are girls, and all four are in diapers. The oldest set of twins, Michelle and Caitlin, are my age, and we quickly become playmates. Caitlin has striking red hair that drapes the bottom of her shoulder blades. She is so outgoing she would chat with a hobo on the street if her mother were not there to stop her. Michelle, on the other hand, is quieter and more reserved. She is an inch or two shorter than the kids her age, and lacks the confidence that dominates her sister's personality. She clings to me. Her shy personality coincides with my bold and adventurous one. She willingly becomes my sidekick, and joins me in numerous neighborhood adventures. We travel the grassy plains, and trek across the muddy rivers, stopping only for the occasional diaper change, and the pacifiers that fall behind. Our friendship is uncommon, exciting, and pure, but I am too young to treasure this rare gift that God has given me. It is first grade, and not has much changed. Michelle's short stature has only grown more apparent, and the increasing number of people surrounding her has become overwhelming. She clutches onto me, too afraid to meet her taller, bolder classmates. At recess, Michelle and I select the multicolor u's that link together to make chains. We plop ourselves down on the gray, matted carpet and begin to make necklaces and bracelets. Something makes us chuckle, and before you know it we are grabbing at our sides with laughter pains. Michelle laughs so hard that she pees all over our beautiful creations that we, and the classroom, left on the floor. Her angelic smile turns immediately into an expressionless stare. I look into her puppy eyes and watch tear after tear streak down her cheeks into the pee that surrounds her. I want to take that pain away from her. I want all those small, watchful eyes in the class to glare at me instead of innocent little Michelle. It is sixth grade and the Green Springs Special Chorus, which Michelle and I are a part of, is going to the junior high school to sing. Our choir is singing seventies music, and we are required to wear seventies clothes. Michelle and I are matching from head to toe. Our attire consists of blue felt poodle skirts, white shirts, black scarves, and starch-white Ked's shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment